[TriLUG] OT: Wired Gigabit Router Postscript, or Post Mortem...

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 13 14:44:34 EDT 2015

Hi Lee,

No luck with the EdgeRouter Lite.  I could find no means of specifying
the  PPTP client's remote subnet or subnet mask.

I don't know whether these parameters are essential for a PPTP client
config, but the DD-WRT, Ubuntu, and Windows configuration editors for
PPTP client setup all have them and I had no trouble setting up those.

The only PPTP client interface config information I could find on
Ubiquity's website didn't provide a means to specify these parameters.
What little info they had was in a wiki page, which was removed from
their website during the time I was trying to get it to work.

I did what most of the other new users wind up doing, which was to post
asking for help on their forum site.  I had a few of their experienced
users try to help out, but none of them appeared to have a PPTP server
to test against and their advice didn't work.

The Ubiquity products are widely held to be a breakthrough in power for
price.  But they are very "work in progress".  There is no graphical
configuration for the PPTP client config.  It's command line based for
now.  I made some progress experimenting with the command line
parameters, but I reached a point where I got the web interface to crash
and reboot the router a couple of times.  After that I put the thing on
the shelf and went back to my old DD-WRT/54GL.

I will probably give up the notion of going wired-only for my home
office and get another one of Intrex's TP-Link routers one of these
days.  It's a weird shaped, unstackable appliance with a radio I don't
need, but cheap and reliable.

   Scott C.