[TriLUG] Wierd month strings in ls -l

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Oct 16 01:49:42 EDT 2015

Hi all,

On one of my Void Linux machines, the ls -l command produces oddball
strings for the months. I've proven conclusively  that it always gives
the same string for the same month: It's not just garbage. Here are the
strings:

January     qun
February    nah
March       cig
April       agd
May         cax
June        qas
July        qad
August      leq
September   way
October     dit
November    xim
December    kax

It's just garbage from the ls -l output: the files sort just fine, and
ls --full-time is accurate and has the expected format. The files' date
stamps are intact, it's just a problem with the way ls -l prints the
months.

I've updated the machine's software, and that didn't change the
symptom.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

SteveT