[TriLUG] NFS NAS (on the cheap?)

Brian Weaver via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 22 15:28:10 EDT 2015

So I've been task with ordering a "storage solution" for doing backups
local at my work. The problem I have is that I've been requested to submit
a PO in the morning so it can be ordered ASAP.

Currently we have two "NAS" like solutions

1. A Buffalo Terastation
2. A system with a Coraid appliance attached

I've run into the following issues. On the Buffalo server when copying
files onto the server I would get an error on the client stating that the
unique fsid of the file changed. This usually resulted in a "Stale NFS
mount". I updated the firmware to the latest for the appliance and that
issue appears to be resolved.

Now when I try to copy a file I'll get an I/O error. If I touch the file
first and then copy to the created file it works. That seemed to be going
okay until after days of creating backups one of the directories being
served up could no long list file. I would get an I/O error when running
'ls /remote/directory'.

So I'm not keen on another Buffalo server.

The Coraid device is old, I have no documentation, and I know the Coraid
company went out of business. It might be a fine piece of hardware but I've
been given a minor budget to get new gear and things should have improved
in the last 6 years.

If anyone has any suggestions of where and what to buy I'm listening. The
goal is at least 12 TB+ of storage with some level of protection from a
lost drive or two (RAID 5/6, ZFS, etc)

Personally I'd like to build a massive SAN from scratch, but given the
timeline and internal considerations that's does not appear to be an option.

Thanks

- Brian

--

/* insert witty comment here */