[TriLUG] Nov 17th mtg Topic: Virtualization Projects

brian mullan via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Nov 18 13:04:11 EST 2015

First, hi...  I'm Brian Mullan & new to the group but saw the recent email
on a mtg and wanted to ask a couple questions.

The email said:

*Our mission tonight is to stand up additional VM's and develop procedures*
* and documentation for managing them.*

I'm new to the group but would like to ask what "services" etc are the
"additional VMs" for such as
web servers, database, lab/experimentation, "cloud" (openstack or
whatever), SDN related ?

Are the payloads all Linux based or are Windows VMs involved?

I saw on the wiki that the group already hosts a mail server & a shell
server so I wanted to understand if there were plans discussed in the past
before I found the group.

as fyi.. as an introduction...

I retired last fall from 20 yrs at Cisco Systems.   I use Ubuntu and spend
considerable time experimenting with the following technologies:

LXC - https://linuxcontainers.org

LXD - https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/introduction

Juju - https://jujucharms.com/get-started

OpenStack - again using Ubuntu's Openstack Installer
<https://github.com/Ubuntu-Solutions-Engineering/openstack-installer> which
takes advantage of LXD, Juju and
                   other related opensource tools canonical has been
developing.   In particular I
                   utilize canonical's "openstack single installer" mode to
create my 'test' Openstack
                   installation on my laptop all inside LXC containers.

Remote Desktop - to linux using Guacamole <http://guac-dev.org> for full
desktop using web browser/html5
                           but I use x2go <http://x2go.org> primarily for
remote  desktop to AWS EC2 or Digital Ocean
                           systems

SDN - using opensource full-mesh vpn (peervpn.net), OpenDayLight (ODL),
mininet in the past
          but now switching  kaanalnet which unlike MiniNet creates real
"full" OS LXC containers
          (mininet only uses a miinimal network namespace from the LIBLXC
libary to you can't run
          real payloads in MiniNets LXC "lite" containers but in KaanalNet
<http://kaanalnet.org/> you can.

I do profess to being fairly ignorant of RHEL, CentOS or Fedora although I
have run them at times in LXC containers for various reasons.

Anyway, interested in what the group does or wants to do.

thanks...

Brian