[TriLUG] Slightly OT: Popping Yahoo Mail

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 10 08:39:02 EST 2015

> Hi LUGgers,
>
> Has anyone used POP with yahoo mail successfully?  I tried it with
> several years worth of email yesterday, and the results are scrambled.
>
> Any clues or suggestions?
>
> I haven't used IMAP very much, but it's available.  Is there a way to
> use it in thunderbird to pull everything to a local folder?

Probably not much of a suggestion or help, but have you tried something
other than Thunderbird?  The reason I ask is according to an article I saw
about a week ago
(http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/12/thunderbird-a-tax-on-firefox-development-and-mozilla-wants-to-drop-it/)
it doesn't look like Thunderbird has had more than security updates in
over a year.  It was my experience that it also tended to act flaky with
some mail servers too.

A mail client using IMAP may be another thing to try because it is a more
feature rich protocol in terms of communicating and synchronizing with the
mail servers whereas POP seems to be more of a dump and download type.  Of
course it all comes down to what feature level is supported on either end
and whether or not the developer implemented it properly.