[TriLUG] Have a Job: Interested in Crypto? We’re Hiring!

Jos Purvis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Dec 15 13:51:23 EST 2015

Interested in Cryptography and Security? The Cisco PKI team is hiring!
We're currently looking for a Linux engineer to join our Operations crew,
either here in RTP or out in San Jose, CA. Here's what we do:
  * We provide the crypto services to all of Cisco: supporting software
engineering and product manufacturing, designing new systems, even
operating multiple full-blown publicly trusted certificate authorities.
  * We're small and lean (trying to fix that!), and due to audit
requirements we run most of our own systems, so in this role you'll be
hands-on as a sysadmin, working in a group that more closely resembles a
startup than a large corporation.
  * We work hard, but we also play hard: expect Nerf darts, wicked
foosball, and snacks in the office, plus the freedom to work from home when
you need to and plenty of PTO to recharge.

Here's what we're looking for:
  * This is an entry-level position, so we're looking for someone new out
of college, up to 1-2 years of experience in the field.
  * We'd like someone comfortable with Linux administration: we're a
CentOS/Red Hat/Oracle shop, but the key is to be comfortable with patching,
basic shell scripting, and running services on Linux.
  * Much of our infrastructure is virtualized: one of the first projects
you'll be helping with is migrating us from VMware to RHEV/KVM.
  * We use Apache and Tomcat, with lots of Java, so if you have experience
with Java, that's great--not a requirement, but really nice to have.
  * A little basic knowledge of cryptography and security is good, but
we'll teach you as you go--just be able to explain some crypto basics like
symmetric and asymmetric keys, and you're good.
  * This is a duty position: our Ops guys rotate 24x7 pager duty weekly to
keep our systems going.

The position is approved but may not have been posted on the Cisco website
just yet; if you're interested, send an email and a resume to me--Jos
Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com)--and I'll get you into the system. If you have
any questions or anything, feel free to ask me. Also, we may be hiring a
more experienced position into the team as well in the near future, so if
you have more experience and might be interested, drop me a line!

Best,

Jos Purvis