[TriLUG] web framework for unix admins?

Dewey Hylton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 18 18:41:44 EST 2016

hi all. looking for a fitting web platform. i’m a unix admin, and write
my own tools in shell/awk/etc as well as python. about 30% of my
tools provide formatted output (vpn connectivity reports, system
analysis, etc.) … i’m looking for a web platform or framework or
whatever you might call it which i can use to do similar things and
present via the web. buttons and controls for the underlying code
would be a plus but are not necessary at this time. of course, if i am
to go there then starting out with a solution which can handle that is
a good idea right now.

similar to writing my own little tools, i’d like to be able to throw some
code together to provide a new page or domain or whatever that
can be directly dedicated to whatever job i have in mind. there may even
be something i can simply interface with my existing code, though the
thought of having something running which is reactive and can provide
real-time data is interesting to me as well. i've seen and tried a few
things in the past (such as twisted) which could definitely do the job
but it'd likely take me a year to learn.

i am decent with yml and jinja2 since i’ve implemented ansible for
provisioning servers and services, in case having that under my belt may
help with templating or something in one or more solutions. i also am
fairly proficient with markdown and (moinmoin) wiki markup.

python is my favored tool, and with that there appears to be a staggering
number of potential solutions. i’m asking here because i figure several
of you will have already found something similar which you really
like and might fit my needs as well. i may post elsewhere as well, but
this seemed like the proper place to start.

what have you used that sounds like a fit for me, and isn’t too hard
to learn? thanks in advance!