[TriLUG] File compare and meta data

MvER - TrLUG via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 18 21:23:00 EST 2016

File compare can start with  matching names, then sizes and dates, but
other meta data may also be available, depending on the file type and
ending with an md5 or  sha number.

there are parts of the above that are available from various linux
functions and there seem to be many systems for version control or
document management, but I am having difficulty in getting clear
pictures of what they provide. I would like to build a database of all
the files, there locations with the ability to identify complete  or
partial matches by content, location, name and date to get a clear
picture of which entry is the latest and most complete version of file x.

Do I want a DMS, a SVC or something else?

And FOSS if possible and maybe something for Windows (horrors) as well.

Mike R.