[TriLUG] Opinion Seeking: Remote Linux Desktops

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Feb 22 10:01:11 EST 2016

Hi Gang,

I'm getting closer and closer to having my primary home workstation spend most of its time running Linux.  One thing I have yet to really nail down is remote desktop.  When it's running Windows, I connect to the machine via RDP quite frequently, so I'll need the same functionality with hopefully comparable (if not better) performance.  Is VNC still the mechanism of choice for Linux remote desktops?  Recently I tried out NoMachine, which seemed cool, but isn't libre.  As far as remote X, I've never once seen it outperform RDP, so it's pretty much not in the running.  Thoughts?

-B