[TriLUG] Opinion Seeking: Remote Linux Desktops

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Feb 22 12:37:39 EST 2016

NX Technology at it's root is compressed through ssh. It is anything but slow. It rivals RDP in every aspect from my perspective. But actually has many more features and capabilities. It even works well over slow internet connections, but it is not magic and any remote software has troubles over poor connections. You can use X sessions or VNC over port forwarded ssh with compression and it works well too. However, NX takes care of many details of issues that are recoverable and optimized.  It is just a smoother experience than setting up the session yourself.

The one complaint I have about x2go and nomachine is occasional crashes and repairs or config hiccups from abandoned sessions that occur. With nomachine NX I had recover procedures. x2go is better, but abandoned sessions are still a slight but manageable issue. Mostly I have not spent the time to optimize my understanding of the configuration capabilities. I believe the issues I have could be improved with better settings or configuration.

I use x2go daily on multiple machines over the internet and other WAN connections all day long. I switched from NX nomachine on my last server a few months ago. I would say the same about nomachine experience. I just prefer x2go because nomachine is getting a bit ugly with recent releases starting a few years ago.

John Vaughters