[TriLUG] Linux Laptop

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 26 11:05:47 EST 2016

On 02/25/2016 04:35 PM, Aaron Cody Weaver via TriLUG wrote:
> So I am trying to find a laptop that will be a good portable for linux
> sysadmin work.
>
> I don't want to pay crazy money for a linux laptop like system76.
>
> I just need a laptop that will handle normal sys admin stuff and will have
> everything work correctly not like ones that have bluetooth or webcams that
> don't work.
>
> Thanks for the advise.

One point I'd like to mention regarding this thread overall is that it
isn't really that hard to find a compatible laptop.
The approach that I took the last time I bought one was to select the
features that I wanted, which included a decent amount of power and
expansion capabilities, and then narrow down the field based on
reviews.  Reviews can be misleading, but if you focus on quantifiable
information and discussion of specific issues, you can use them to
inform your decision.

Once I had narrowed my choices far enough, I began looking specifically
for Linux device driver related problems.  I wound up with an ASUS
gaming laptop, and it turned out to be 100% supported (with the proper
UEFI adjustments).  My point is not that this particular laptop is
better than any other choice.  I'm just saying that there are a lot of
good possibilities.  You can get a long way just by looking at laptops
in general, and then drilling down to see if there are any specific
Linux issues.

The one place this will not help is if the laptop you find is a brand
new product, particularly if it has new hardware devices.  Those are
pretty easy to identify and avoid though.

Just FYI,

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote