[TriLUG] CryptoParty / Install Fest

John Ostrander via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 12 16:20:57 EDT 2016

Hey y'all,

I put together materials for, and will be leading a little hybrid
CryptoParty / Linux Install event at Internationalist Book store in
Carrboro N.C. on 2016/05/29 at 12:30.

It is geared towards teaching people who are not regular Linux users how
to do some basic things with the Tails operating system, but it seemed
to me that it could be something that TriLUG might find interest in.

The basic outline will go something like this.

- Security disclaimers and Summary of tools
- Installation of Tails with a persistent volume onto a USB flash drive
- Configuration of Thunderbird and Enigmail
- Key signing party with those that want to participate
- Setting up and using IRC over TOR with OTR
- Using MAT to minimize metadata in files
- Some rules of thumb for use
- Do's and Do Not's
- Recommendations of follow up 'homework' to augment the workshop
- Open discussion and hanging out

Below is a link which you can find the flier for the event, and if you
look in the folders it's contained in you can find the materials for the
presentation should you find yourself curious, but not enough so to make
the trek over to Carrboro.

https://www.exclusionzone.org/files/Projects/Tails_TOR_GPG/Pictures/Crypto_Party_Flier/CryptoPartyFlier2.png

regards,

--
John M. Ostrander
john at crackroot.org

"Man is the measure of all things: of things which are, that they are,
and of things which are not, that they are not." Protagoras