[TriLUG] Build a Homebrew Linux Router?

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 14 11:18:41 EDT 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 08:55:26 -0400
Jeremy Davis via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Jim Salter has presented a couple times at TriLUG. If there is strong
> interest in this topic we could probably talk him into presenting it.
> This would potentially make for a good hack day as well. Seems like
> building a homebrew Linux router would be a nice way to distinguish
> yourself.
>
> https://opensource.com/life/16/6/why-i-built-my-own-linux-router?sc_cid=70160000000lcFhAAI
>
> Reply if interested.

I operated a homebrew OpenBSD router before settling on pfSense. I'm
waiting for his video to cue up, so it might already be covered in his
talk, but I see two essential information groups that need covering:

1) Building a low wattage, low noise homebrew router

2) Interfacing your homebrew router to a wifi router such that the wifi
   doesn't do firewalling or routing: Only wifi.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb