[TriLUG] Build a Homebrew Linux Router?

Kevin Otte via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jun 16 21:34:22 EDT 2016

Sadly most homebrew router documentation doesn't (yet!) include setting
up IPv6 connectivity. Here in the Triangle, you pretty much only get
native IPv6 if you're using Time Warner, which uses DHCPv6-PD.

The closest I've been able to find doc-wise is
https://www.bidon.ca/en/node/634

I'm guessing you should simply be able to change ppp0 to whatever your
upstream Ethernet interface is and you should be good to go. I'm a
little reluctant to upend my working network at the moment (OpenWRT with
it's secret sauce for prefix delegation), so if someone else wants to
test and report back to the list that would be great.

As for hardware, I'm considering using a VM to handle the routing. It
does mean the VM host becomes a single point of failure, but it already
has multiple NICs and handles VLANs, so it wouldn't require purchase of
any additional hardware. It already yawns at the minimal workload I have
on it, so routing wouldn't be much of a stretch.