[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

Thomas Delrue via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 25 14:00:32 EDT 2016

On 08/25/2016 12:11 PM, John Vaughters via TriLUG wrote:
>> I read about that early this month on articles like
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-urgently-wants-to-test-superfast-wireless-broadband-in-24-us-cities/
>
> For those that may not know, Google purchased a low orbit satellite
> company a few years back whose goal was to provide worldwide internet
> access no matter where you were on the planet. Probably only
> excluding polar regions. Let's say like 2000 miles out in the pacific
> perhaps? Hey, Pirates need internet access too Ya Know!!!! I have not
> followed it, but just another pie in the sky technology, which BTW,
> when someone like Google is baking the pie, you never know, it could
> come out delicious. `,~) John Vaughters

It all depends on what you call 'delicious'...
I for one have very strong reservations when a company with such a large
amount power and knowledge of every intimate detail of your life as well
as political access, clout and power, entrenches itself even further and
makes it practically impossible to stay away from them.
(example: try to use the web while not touching GOOG servers, you're not
going to have a very good time)

They're not 'bringing internet to the masses' out of the goodness of
their heart, just like FB is not bringing internet to the masses with
internet.org. They are however doing everything they can so that you
cannot avoid them at all and ideally, are corralled into their play-pen.

The main reason they are doing these projects is so that all your
traffic goes through them: they will see, hear, smell and feel
everything you do and touch online because you're now going through
their pipes and everything is analyzed, quantified and stored...

Personally, I find that *very* scary!