[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 25 14:31:13 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 06:17:26PM +0000, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
> >Satellite is a fine technology for something like TV where you're
> broadcasting the same signal(s) over a wide area but it doesn't work so
> great for internet access and suffers from LONG latency issues. ??Think
> of how it would work with only a handful of (satellite) receivers
> trying to handle thousands upon thousands of ground users
> simultaneously transmitting to them.
> I was not suggesting satellites as a high speed access, just access for the world. It works quite well for data of all types and the Google solution is low orbit and will reduce the latency. The trick with satellites is to use UDP for transport and use software to clean up the data and request re-transmission if needed. TCP automatic re-transmissions are a killer on satellite transmission. In any case the most recent satellites put in orbit are really good and if you can stick with UDP and tune the actual traffic based on your needs, you will have great results. It's reasonably low cost, relative to older offerings, but still the most expensive option for data. There is a company in Jacksonville, FL that will deliver you a 50-100MW turbine generator within 24hrs or less and link it to a satellite and operate it for you anywhere in the world. I'm guessing the civilized world and not Antarctica.

Another, different, use for satellite technology is for bulk data
delivery, a "library," rather than for interactive use.  Certainly, the
"order" can go over some other technology, even telephone modems, but
the delivery can come to you from one or more satellites.

There is a KickIndie project working on that idea.

Brian