[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 26 01:56:18 EDT 2016

On 08/25/2016 01:14 PM, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:
> The technical issues with a wireless system are numerous.  Do recall
> that a few companies have already tried making a go of wide area WiFi
> and failed at it. In order to get any amount of through put, you will
> require a large signal bandwidth which puts you up in the UHF or higher
> spectrum.  That puts you in line of sight transmission and the higher
> the frequency the more power required.  Interference, weather (rain in
> particular), and building penetration become problems that reduce the
> available bandwidth, signal strength and SNR, etc.  On top of all of
> that you are talking about multiplexing a number of signals which will
> reduce the availability to any particular user.  I think you would
> quickly wind up with a cell phone type system very quickly.  There are
> many reasons why fiber optic (ludicrous bandwidth) and even copper wire
> are far superior.
>
> Satellite is a fine technology for something like TV where you're
> broadcasting the same signal(s) over a wide area but it doesn't work so
> great for internet access and suffers from LONG latency issues.  Think
> of how it would work with only a handful of (satellite) receivers
> trying to handle thousands upon thousands of ground users
> simultaneously transmitting to them.
Whilst living in the toolies, I HAD to use HughesNet. Problem numero un,
the install is highly crucial if you want to get a signal at all. And if
you get a bozo for an install tech, you can just about give up. After
all you are aiming the dish at a speck in the sky that you cannot see.
THEN, even if the install dish alignment is perfect, if the sat-modem
isn't configured correctly you're still dead in the water, reduced to
modem speeds. THEN I believe that their ground station(s) isn't up to
routing the loads from all of that users. So, they must be resorting to
traffic shaping which must be one hairy nightmare.  After complaining
and bitching I finally had a senior tech check out my problem and it was
the mis-configured modem. That took about 3 months to get a megabit
connection when I was paying to ten. I almost cried when I moved into
the city and got DSL.

I remember back when there were about 50 modem users in all of Houston.
You could tell all of the Apple][ users since we typed in all caps! From
300 baud, things have REALLY changed! :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html