[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 26 14:18:48 EDT 2016

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 08:40:53 -0400
David Both via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Some of us **ARE** old - I turn 70 on Sunday - I remember that, too.
> I about had an orgasm when I got my 56Kb modem. Thought I had died
> and gone to computer heaven.

In 1994 a newspaper advertised a 1000MB (nobody said "gigabyte" yet)
Western Digital hard disk for $799 at Egghead Software. Taking a few
minutes to calm down, I called my local Egghead, asked about the 1000MB
for $799, and faking cool and collected, asked them to put one aside
while I drove over. They did.

This had to be a mistake. Nobody could give you 1000MB for only
$799.95. It was almost certainly bait and switch, but on the unlikely
chance that I could really buy this disk for only $799, I ran out to
the car, broke every traffic law to get to Egghead as soon as possible,
parked, and did a few relaxation exercises as I faux-casually sauntered
into Egghead.

In Egghead, I pretended no urgency, and as offhand as possible, said I
was the guy who called in for the disk, and as if I had nothing but
time, mentioned I'd like to buy it now. They brought out the disk, I
took my credit card, and the transaction was completed. I kept
expecting them to invent some reason they couldn't go through with it.

Now was the most critical time. I could be accused of theft, or fraud,
or pricetag switching, or just plain "we're sorry Mr. Litt, but we have
to void this sale." They asked if I needed anything else, and as if I
were in no rush at all, I said "not right now, but I'll come back later
if I need something else."

I relaxedly but with some speed walked out the door and across the
parking lot, being careful not to look like I was rushing. The last
thing I needed was to be arrested for shoplifting or pricetag switching
or whatever.

I carefully pulled out of the parking lot, deliberately and calmly drove
two blocks away, got out of the car, and did a victory dance. I'd just
bought 1000MB for only $799. Too bad Egghead took such a loss, but
heck, I really needed a big disk and I wasn't made of money.

Two years later I bought a disk 6 times bigger for 1/3 the price. :-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
  Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr