[TriLUG] Laptop Upgrade

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 2 10:09:34 EDT 2016

I don't have a specific suggestion, but I do have a recommendation as
to something to watch out for.

A few months ago, I upgraded to a Lenovo X1 Carbon (gen 4) and it came
with the latest and greatest Intel architecture.  I learned that there
was a bug (?) introduced into the Linux kernel that caused a certain
version range to not work with this hardware.  Slightly older kernels,
such as those on the install image would work and it would stop working
and fail to load after the first update.  This caused me a lot of
trouble getting a distro installed on the new machine until I learned
that Ubuntu had already gone to a kernel with the patch (it was an
early adopter).

This reddit thread has some details on the issue: https://www.reddit.co
m/r/thinkpad/comments/48wp3o/x1_carbon_gen_4_ubuntu_minireview/