[TriLUG] Chromebook recommendation.

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Sep 3 11:47:54 EDT 2016

I am on my second chromebook now, first was the hp14 4g and this is the
acer r11 with 4gd ram and 32gb ssd.  Both chromebooks are still good I just
passed the hp14 down to be more of a family computer.

The first two questions that you must answer are the following:

1.  Do you plan to use crouton or chrubuntu for running a full linux on the
chromebook?
2.  Do you plan to run android apps on the chromebook?

If the answer to 1 is yes then I recommend you want to look for a
chromebook with an x86 processor instead of ARM.  I actually consider that
an in general preference but it is even more important for running linux.
Also I recommend getting a chromebook with at least 4 gb of ram.

If the answer to 2 is yes then I recommend getting a model with at least a
touch screen if not a convertible form factor.

If the answer is both is yes then combine lists.  And I will say if the
answer to either is yes then a 32gb SSD internal is a minimum requirement
as the space needed for the chroot and/or android apps will start eating
into local storage and installing them to a usb drive or sd card will
potentially be a performance issue.

So that being said, and let's just say I forget specific prices I will list
the more popular models top of my head and suggest the google+ chromebook
channel for more discussions.

1.  Asus Flip - 2gb and 4gb options, touch screen convertible, ARM
processor.  I think the base is $249.  This one has play store support now
in beta channel and will be supported in stable channel soon.

2.  R11 - 2gb and 4gb options x86 processor, touch screen convertible.  I
 think base is like $289, the model I got was $320 at costco.  Same as flip
above for play store support.

3.  Dell chromebook - intel processor, well reviewed, forget options, but I
think pricier

4.  Second gen toshiba chromebook 2 (yes there is a second gen of the 2
model)  2 and 4gb option, intel architecture, non touchscreen.

5.  Lenovo chromebook, touchscreen, intel

6.  Hisens and hawai chromebooks - arm, low spec, but from amazon or
walmart they are like $140.  Considered a good value so why I list them
here.

I will also mention Acer is coming out with an R13 soon and although that
might be pricier it looks like it will be good.  Also lenovo has a new
yogabook with the touch keyboard thingy that should also be a chrombook
version.  That will probably rival pixel pricing but it again looks like it
might be hot.

Ken

On Sat, Sep 3, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Matt Pusateri via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org