[TriLUG] Google Fiber Triangle Build out

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 16 13:25:26 EDT 2016

Thanks for that informative link!

I got all excited when I saw the "sign up" button, but when I clicked the
button it said:

Google Fiber isn’t available for this address

I think that, right now, it's only available to parts of Morrisville. (I'm
in Cary.)

When folks on the list start getting the service, I'll be interested in
learning just how "dynamic" their dynamic IPs are. (With Time-Warner, I
keep the same "dynamic" IP address for many months.)

I'd really like a static IP, but that's mighty expensive, from Google.
Google is offering static IPs for business accounts, only, and at an
additional cost of $20/mo. With the $20 bump from residential to business
at 100 mbps, that brings the monthly hit for a static IP to +$40. Ouch.

At gigabit speed it's an extra $200/mo to get a static IP. Quintuple ouch!

Dave