[TriLUG] iPhone 6

John Mitchell via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 1 11:13:05 EDT 2016

   A couple of items from my perspective:

   I like the fact that Apple updates the OS in a fairly timely manner.
They take security serious.

(If you are a member of the Apple Eco-system you can ignore the following.)

  You can do software updates to the Phones OS using just the phone (no
attached computer). There can be problems with this method so I always use
a Windows computer to update the OS (and I can do a backup of the data
first).
   This means you MUST use iTunes to either Update the OS or even backup
your phones data. So I use iTunes for the phone. That's all I use iTunes
for. So every time the phone needs a OS update (every three months or so) I
fire up iTunes and .....Oh Rats, iTunes needs to update itself first, Arg!.
10 minutes plus a reboot - now I can plug the phone into the computer and
start the d/l process. 30 minutes or so later I now have an updated phone.
   If you have a password protected iPhone add time as it pauses each phone
reboot waiting for you to enter the PW.

john mitchell