[TriLUG] Managed or Unmanaged switch

Grawburg via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 10 10:23:51 EDT 2016

I'm upgrading our 24 port switch and don't know what determines when I should consider a managed switch.
There are less than 8 simultaneous network users, and then only doing Web searching or e-mail, and an occasional
transfer of data to a NAS (<1 GB at a time). I also have a Raspberry Pi sending video from one floor
to another Pi that displays it. No plans for a VPN.

If a managed switch is recommended I presume the Web interface will work fine with my Linux box.

Because I prefer, when possible, to purchase locally I will buy a unit from either Best Buy or Staples. The Netgear
ProSafe series looks good and maybe a Buffalo BSGS2024

Thanks,
Brian Grawburg
Wilson

--
[This was sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux. No Microsoft products were used.]