[TriLUG] backups- duplicity

mr-trilug via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Nov 11 16:24:05 EST 2016

 From Ubuntu 16.04 I've been making backups of /home.

  * each morning at reboot or start from suspend.
  * adding 1 or more new ...sigtar.gz and/or ...difftar.gz files
  * the home/.../deja-dup folder keeps growing (87G now).
  * I have not tried a restore in case it fails and destroys a
    functioning /home.

     "Locate duplicity" produces yads of responses. I need a filter for it.

I would like to:

  * move the entire deja-dup folder to an external drive before it gets
    still larger --- to create space for a new start on backing up.
  * set up a cron file that restarts the backup from zero at least one
    time per month

But I cannot find an existing cron file, although I think there must
been one causing the daily activity.

Does someone have cli's to move me in the right direction?

Thanks.