[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Dec 5 00:37:53 EST 2016

TWC has been doing this for a long time. That's why I've configured my
router to use Google's nameservers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

*C:\>nslookup insert-bogus-name-here.com
<http://insert-bogus-name-here.com>*
*Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
<http://google-public-dns-a.google.com>*
*Address:  8.8.8.8*

**** google-public-dns-a.google.com <http://google-public-dns-a.google.com>
can't find insert-bogus-name-here.com <http://insert-bogus-name-here.com>:
Non-existent domain*

*C:\>nslookup insert-bogus-name-here.com
<http://insert-bogus-name-here.com> 209.18.47.62*
*Server:  dns-cac-lb-02.rr.com <http://dns-cac-lb-02.rr.com>*
*Address:  209.18.47.62*

*Non-authoritative answer:*
*Name:    insert-bogus-name-here.com <http://insert-bogus-name-here.com>*
*Addresses:  198.105.244.228*
*          198.105.254.228*

*C:\>*

Guess what you see when you go to http://198.105.244.228/ or
http://198.105.254.228/? Advertising, of course, with the revenue going to
TWC/Spectrum.

Dave

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 10:58 PM, Wes Garrison via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> I've never had Charter or TWC mess with DNS, but anything's possible
> nowadays.