[TriLUG] ATT gigabit internet quick review

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Dec 6 09:22:59 EST 2016

 > OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) is another
 > alternative, but some people feel that it messes with DNS
 > too much, similar to the problems discussed above.

Note that OpenDNS is now part of Cisco.

That might be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what
you're looking for.

If your hat is made of tin foil, then maybe it's not for you, and
maybe you want to run a fully recursive resolver like unbound.
But if you would just like an easy-to-manage filtered DNS,
suitable for family use, then sign up for a free account and
use it to the fullest.

I have done both, at different times.  I am currently using
OpenDNS as Cisco markets it, and it's pretty cool.  Occasionally,
I have to address a "please whitelist this" request from my kids,
but that only helps to remind me that it's doing its job.

Alan
(only briefly a Cisco employee)

PS - One point that was not clear to me from the earlier discussion
was whether AT&T was simply offering its own DNS servers as the
default via DHCP assignment, or if it were somehow blocking or
intercepting traffic that was intended for external DNS servers.
That distinction makes all the difference in the world.