[TriLUG] Home Lab Recommendations, Part Deux

Alan Sterger via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jan 9 23:51:07 EST 2017

Hello TriLugers,

Another lost soul looking for home lab recommendations.  I have an Intel
Core2 Quad core Q9550 computer with 8 GB of ram, Gigabit ethernet
running on a 256 GB SSD.  I can also add more SSDs and/or spinning rust
as needed.

My requirements are to run Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL) v6.x (RHEL
w/mods) with Oracle Database 11i.  I also need to run Windows 7 (32-bit)
Pro, Windows 7 (64-bit) Pro and possibly Windows 10 Pro.  Any VM not
needed would be shutdown.

I've used two Type-2 hosted hypervisors, VMware Workstation and
VirtualBox each hosted on Windows 7.  Both hypervisors running OEL VM
environments seemed a little slow and I/O bound. Probably due to the
underlying Windows host.

My thought was to implement a Type-1 hypervisor, headless and use VNC
when an interactive session is required.  But I'm hearing other things
like Docker, libvirt, containers...

With my mix of Linux and Windows requirements, let me know if I'm on the
right track OR point me in a faster, better direction.

Cheers,

-- Alan Sterger