[TriLUG] Radio Shack Catalogs

Dwain Sims via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Mar 10 10:33:28 EST 2017

I saw a news story that our old friend Radio Shack was filing for
bankruptcy yet again.

I certainly have mixed feelings about RS as a retailer these days, but I
have happy memories of them when I was a kid in the 70s (when a store
finally opened up in my small town in WV).

While checking on a story on the bankruptcy, I ran across this website that
I think many of you might find amusing.  An almost complete collection of
all of the Radio Shack catalogs from the 1930s forward.  I certainly recall
having copies of several of these from the 70s and 80s.

Warning this can be a terrible time sink!!

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

I especially liked seeing the 4 function calculator from the 1973 catalog
for 129.95! (That is $710 in 2017 dollars!) "A personal computer you will
use for years."

Dwain