[TriLUG] Public folder on Debian

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Mar 28 15:31:34 EDT 2017

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017, Brian Grawburg via TriLUG wrote:

> Two computers on same network. One running Debian Jessie and mine running
> Wheezy. I want to share the Public folder on the Jessie machine so that I can
> periodically grab a file from it to work on. There are no other machines that
> will need to see the file. Seems simple to me. The Jessie unit gives me no
> option to 'Share' the folder. Do I need to mount it (/etc/fstab) on my
> machine? How do I make it shareable on the other unit?

I gave up on NFS a long time ago. I was winding up with stale file handles all
the time and would have to reboot a hung machine. I tried automounting NFS but
it wouldn't mount/umount reliably and I'd wind up with stale file handles again.

For directories that need to be sync'ed, I use passwdless rsync run from cron.
Sure you have to wait for the next rsync, but that's not a problem for the
workload I have. Some directories are rsync'ed every hour and some every day.
It's been working perfectly for years.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml