[TriLUG] OT: Security concern: H&R Block wanted my DL number to do my taxes

Thomas Delrue via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Mar 30 18:43:28 EDT 2017

My tax attorney told me it's a new thing that the IRS is requiring "to
prevent fraud" (implying that it is to prevent your refund going to
someone else, which has indeed been a particular mechanism of fraud in
the last couple of years).
I believe the part about the IRS requiring it, I'm more sceptical about
the fraud part and specifically how it prevents the scam but then I'm on
the paranoid side of the spectrum so YMMV.