[TriLUG] OT: Security concern: H&R Block wanted my DL number to do my taxes

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Mar 30 19:27:43 EDT 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:

The IRS does not require a DL

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/new-security-safeguards

"Do I need a driver's license number to file a return?

In our ongoing effort to protect taxpayers from identity theft, the IRS, state
tax agencies and the tax industry do ask for the taxpayers' driver's license
number or a state-issued identification number. This information is optional for
most state tax returns, but a few states do require it to complete the
electronic filing process. It is also optional for a federal tax return.
However, providing these identification numbers helps the IRS verify your
identity which can prevent unnecessary delays in tax return processing. You also
can review state revenue department websites for information.
"

so it's up to each State

The NCDOR doesn't require it either

http://staging.www.dor.state.nc.us/electronic/e-file.html

If you have a driver's license or state-issued ID card, use the information on
it to provide the additional information requested on your tax return. Note:
North Carolina will not reject your tax return if you do not include the
additional information, but strongly encourages you to provide it.

So we've been had. It's optional

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml