[TriLUG] AMD Rizen

Jeffery Painter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Apr 3 20:02:51 EDT 2017

Hir Ric and fellow Trilugger's

A word of warning to those venturing into the Ryzen processor space.  I
received all my parts today, but ran into a bit of a snag with the CPU
fan.  I had ordered a Noctua NH-L9A after considering the compatibility
issues recommended by PC Part Picker - buyer beware!  The new AM4 socket
requires a very specific board offset that is not yet that common among
fan manufacturers (or at least currently shipping fans).

I called Intrex this afternoon and picked up a CoolerMaster EVO 212.
The sales guy thought it would work, but it did not come with the AM4
parts required - it is considered a compatible fan,but only with an
upgrade kit shipped direct from CoolerMaster (free you pay shipping
only).  However, CoolerMaster is currently out of stock. Failed attempt #2

So, now I am on waiting another week.  I ended up going back with Noctua
as they sell an AM4 upgrade kit compatible with various models of their
fans (unfortunately not the small form factor one I ordered the first
time).  The new fan is supposed to arrive tomorrow, but the upgrade kit
won't ship until Friday.

Link for upgrade kit:
http://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTEFT52/

Until next week...

On 03/28/2017 10:52 AM, Jeffery Painter via TriLUG wrote:
> Hi Ric,
>
> I ordered some parts a couple days ago to put a Ryzen system
> together.  I also added in one of the newer M.2 drives which I am
> probably more excited about (at least until the new Intel Optane
> drives are reasonably priced). Here is my part list:
>
> https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gg22f8
>
> Once I get it up and running, I would be happy to share more
> feedback.  It doesn't look like all my parts will arrive until next
> week.  I was going to put Ubuntu 16.x LTS to test/run some text
> analytics processes I am working.
>

> On 03/25/2017 10:44 AM, Ric Moore via TriLUG wrote:
>> Anyone playing with this yet??
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACaq3C4ONY&feature=em-uploademail
>> Ric

Jeff Painter

CEO and Founder of JiveCast
Software and analytics, made together
http://jivecast.com

301 Fayetteville St. Unit 2301, Raleigh, NC 27601
(919) 533-9024