[TriLUG] GOSFUI

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 27 22:21:54 EDT 2017

Linux (Leenux), gif (gif like jiffy, or gif like gift), etc (as in the
/etc/ dir, pronounced etsy, etcetera, e.t.c.)...  examples of this problem
are a dime a dozen.

As for a pronunciation key, there are many choices*, but your natural
language demonstration ("URL" as "Earl") works great.  Find a word, or set
of words which have unambiguous pronunciations, and use an analogy to them.

Is it "GOSFUI, like Goes Fooey" or "GOSFUI, like Gosling Fooey", or do you
pronounce the O.S. or the U.I. letters individually, or do I have it all
wrong?  :)

Aaron S. Joyner

* - The problem with many of the choices (IPA, APN, etc) is that people
don't know how to read pronunciation keys.  :)