[TriLUG] OT: Relationship between Internet Speed and Video Latency

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Apr 28 16:55:41 EDT 2017

Sounds like you have done a good bit of troubleshooting.  Here are my suggestions:

* Does your laptop/desktop have enough horsepower to drive the hangouts app?

* Plug your laptop/desktop directly into your TWC modem (bypass everything on your network).  Does this improve the situation?

* Do the same issues happen if you use a different tool instead of hangouts (Skype, etc)?  Could be a Google issue.

* Do you notice a difference during the day vs night?  Could be a problem with many other full-time remote workers in your neighborhood.

* Can you visit a neighbor’s house to see if you have the same problem?  Could be something from the curb to your house.

In the end, it is all about eliminating everything you can control.  Also, don’t forget to replace *everything* you can when testing (different cables, different PC, etc).  It is easy to forget using the same cable to do your testing can be the issue.

Hope these tips help.