[TriLUG] Semi-OT: help pairing memory with a new system

Ed Blackman via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue May 2 23:09:38 EDT 2017

I'm planning to move away from using OpenWrt on a wifi router to using a
full (if small) system as a router and using the wifi as just an AP.  To
make this semi-topical, I'll note that I'm going to install Debian on
the new router.

I'm looking at a Qotom Q355G4:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fanless-embedded-pc-with-Celeron-dual-core-J1800-USB-3-0-4-COM-RS232-desktop-pc/32400448848.html

I want the "NO RAM NO SSD" option: my experience is that not telling
what kind of memory and disk is included means that it's not the good
stuff.  But it's been many years since I've done system assembly, and
I'm not entirely sure that I can pick compatible memory.

From the little I know, plus reading the Qotom product description, this
looks compatible: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct102464bf160b#productDetails
Is that correct?

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with Linux on
Qotom or another similar tiny PC?  My main specs are 4 Intel Gigabit
Ethernet ports, Intel Core processor (want hardware AES for VPN), and a
small footprint without fan.

--
Ed Blackman