[TriLUG] Self Nomination and my achievements for TriLUG this year

Jeremy Davis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 4 14:27:06 EDT 2017

TriLUG Elections will take place at the May 11th TriLUG meeting and I am
self nominating for re-election to the TriLUG Steering Committee

Over the last year:

I helped secure the RTP Frontier location by reaching out to Robert
Sherwood of Oak City Tech with in-kind sponsorship.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/28292745456/

The birth of 3D Printed TriTUX:

After the awesome April 2016 talk “Why Buy a 3D Printer When You Can Build
One The Hard Way?”, I reached out to Kevin Ebadi with an idea to create a
3D TriTux design. Kevin created and printed the originals and they were
presented to the outgoing Steering Committee members Lenore Ramm and Jack
Hill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/28287330974/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/28287363264/

Soon after, we received an inquiry from Brian Henning asking if he could
self promote his 3Dhubs page on our mailing list. I reached out to him with
an in-kind sponsorship idea to print TriTux for outstanding contributors
such as presenters etc.. These highly coveted collector’s items have been
great for PR. I even presented one to Todd Lewis on behalf of TriLUG before
a huge audience during the closing remarks of the All Things Open
conference. Brian Henning has developed a new version of 3D printed TriTux
that lights up inside and flashes T-R-I-L-U-G in Morse code.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/28292744786/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/28287374644/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/28287438104/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/29997924301/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142314623@N07/32729332372/

Cross-promotion with other local tech groups:

I promoted many of our meetings to local groups such as TriPython, Triangle
Java and Javascript groups, Splatspace, TriEmbed, Triangle Amateur Robotics
(TAR), and NC Nearspace.

In an effort to rekindle a long standing tradition with local groups, this
year I represented TriLUG at RARSFest with a table, in partnership with
TriEmbed and Splatspace. While I was there I also lined up a very cool
Linux/HAM/Raspberry Pi related talk for June 2017.

Speakers and topics:

This year, on numerous occasions I was the meeting MC and I polled the
audience for topics of interest and then helped find and coordinate the
presenters for the Drone Talks, Software Defined Radio, Professional
Audio-Video Production on Linux, Maniacal Labs, and Raspberry Pi talks.

For two of the talks this year, I was lucky and happened to find notable
presenters from NCSU (one of which was a former Academy Director for NASA).

- Dr. Warren J. Jasper, NCSU Professor and Textile Engineering Program
Director

https://textiles.ncsu.edu/blog/team/warren-jasper/

- Kyle T. Snyder, NCSU NextGen Air Transportation Center (NGAT) Director,
Institute for Transportation Research and Education (ITRE)

https://itre.ncsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/SnyderK.pdf

In the past:

A couple years ago I also found a Duke Professor to speak at TriLUG, Cathy
Davidson, who serves on the Mozilla Board of Directors and distinguished
herself as a celebrity in the academia world.

https://www.cathydavidson.com/

2013 I was Lead Organizer for BarcampRDU 2013

I worked extensively with the lead organizer of the All Things Open
conference, Todd Lewis, to bring the largest open source conference on the
east coast to Raleigh NC.

I hope to accomplish more this year if re-elected. I was hoping to organize
a BarcampRDU this year but fell short on time. I recently reached the end
of my military career and should have time to be more involved.

Jeremy Davis

TriLUG PR