[TriLUG] Live image does something strange to USBs

Nathan Yinger via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 8 07:56:54 EDT 2017

So this is the second time I've had this problem. It goes like this:

1 - I make a bootable flash drive.
2 - The flash drive works fine for installing an OS.
3 - I try to repartition it for use as a regular flash drive again
4 - Gparted shows an error when it opens: "The driver descriptor says the
physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes."
5 - After ignoring the error, the flash drive appears is Gparted's list of
devices, but the capacity shown is 4x what it should be.
6 - If I try to change the partitions, I get more popups with the same
error message, and the partitions don't change.

What causes this? How do I get my flash drive back to normal?

This time I used Fedora's Media Writer to create the live USB. Last time I
might have used that, or unetbootin, I forget.

Thanks,
~Nathan