[TriLUG] OT: Cars smarter than us (was "my first IoT device")

Peter Neilson via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 12 18:30:23 EDT 2017

On Fri, 12 May 2017 16:56:06 -0400, Scott Lambdin via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> At least we got a funny email out of it!

Has anyone bought a NEW car lately?

A friend who subscribes to the WSJ forwarded me a story from a few days
ago. "Help! My Fancy New Car Won’t Stop Beeping"

An excerpt:
:: A BMW spokesperson said sensors for the parking-assistance system “can
:: be turned off simply by pressing one button.”
:: Even so, Dr. Miller’s complaints echo other drivers who long for the
days when
:: the only console controls were for the heater and radio. “This might be
why I
:: buy a used car in the future,” Dr. Miller said.

Another:
:: ... quit using his Acura RDX’s built-in navigation system after it told
him to
:: take a left turn at a red light—into a pond.

Another:
:: Ford Motor  Co.’s MyFord Touch infotainment system was so buggy when
first
:: introduced that Chairman Bill Ford, Henry Ford’s great-grandson, was
:: stranded roadside after the software crashed.

My regular vehicles are 25 years old; my newest only 20; my oldest about
110.