[TriLUG] Google Fiber experiences?

Reginald Reed via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 21 16:14:51 EDT 2017

I've been on Google Fiber in Morrisville since mid November.  Speed is
great and it's cool that I've got Gigabit Internet, but nothing I do really
truly needs that much speed.  I was on 300/20 with TWC before the switch
and other than the 20Mbps upstream being a bottleneck when pushing large
binaries up to another site, it was more than enough.

There have been a few hiccups, but I think it was mostly attributable to
the newness of the service.  We have TV (because my wife wanted it, I could
care less) and it's "OK" from a feature/functionality standpoint.  The TV
boxes are basically set top boxes and the storage for the DVR is in the
Network Box.  Everything related to the full End-to-End TV service is
proprietary, so no CableCard, etc.  I'm not sure what the maximum number of
TV Boxes is, but we've got 3.

I have a non-standard setup for Internet in that I'm not using the Network
Box for it, I have a pfSense router that is parallel to the Fiber Jack
along with the Network Box.  At some point, I may fiddle with putting the
Network Box behind my router, but it's more complex and what I have right
now works very well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try my best to
answer.