[TriLUG] Linux desktop suggestions

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 22 10:14:03 EDT 2017

Greetings all,

Looks like my Mac laptop will be “exchanged” for a Dell laptop at @dayjob, and I need to find a good Linux desktop environment to run (def not going to run windows natively).  I have been using a Mac for so long I don’t even know where to begin with the current Linux desktops.

My day-to-day workflow includes:
 * VMWare Fusion (run Win7 for @dayjob stuff)
 * Lots of terminal work (love iTerm2 for the Mac)
 * Screen-capture tool (Snap-n-drag)
 * EMail client (Mac mail)
 * Web browsing (Chrome/Opera)
 * Flexiglass (easily resize windows via CTRL+<mouse_button>)
 * Nextcloud (file sharing)

A couple of things I like about the mac are the ability to hit CTRL+SPACE to bring up a quick launch manager (spotlight) and the ability to quickly preview jpgs via the <space> bar in the finder app.

I am hoping someone on the alias has gone through a Mac-to-Linux desktop shift and could offer some suggestions.  So far, I have looked at elementary OS, Mint, Gnome (via Ubuntu 16.04), and a few others.  While none can replicate the Mac experience, I am looking for something as similar as possible.

Thanks.

-Ron