[TriLUG] Linux desktop suggestions

mail via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon May 22 12:08:24 EDT 2017

Of course, this is my personal preference, but he’s my suggestion, in original
order.

I would suggest the use of KDE Plasma, either Fedora or openSUSE. I personally
use Fedora with Linux-libre, but I wouldn’t suggest that especially on a Dell
laptop.

Workflow replacements:
* Virtualization: VMWare Fusion will run on Fedora, if I recall correctly. If
you don’t specifically want VMWare, I would suggest qemu or even VirtualBox, as
they’re much more friendly.

* Terminal: Konsole is an excellent and highly configurable terminal emulator.
I use it on a daily basis, and I use the fish shell.

Screenshot:

* Screen capture: Plasma comes with a screenshot tool called Spectacle that
supports the following capture modes:
Rectangular region
Full Screen (All Monitors)
Active Window
Window under Cursor
Current Screen

When you select Active Window or Window under Cursor, it hooks into the
compositor to give you a screenshot of that window alone, optionally with the
affects applied to it by the compositor, with or without borders, and with or
without the cursor, among other options.

Screenshot:
https://www.kde.org/images/screenshots/resized/spectacle.png

* Email: I use KMail, which is part of KDE Plasma. KMail has excellent support
for multiple addresses, OpenPGP, mailing lists, client-side anti-spam using
the users’ choice of scripts, as well as managesieve support. I use it on all
of my computers, because it is very robust. It can easily handle thousands of
emails, as shown in the screenshot linked below.

Screenshot:
https://openblox.org/~johnmh/i/nobhZaYP6c.png

* Web browsing: I suggest Mozilla Firefox, but if you prefer Google Chrome,
you can easily install it in Fedora. Some people, especially among the KDE
crowd, complain that Firefox doesn’t fit the desktop environment, but you can
decide for yourself. Firefox uses GTK+ themes, so if you do use KDE Plasma +
Firefox, you’ll want to install a matching GTK+ theme. In Fedora, that’d be
found in the breeze-gtk package, if you want to match one of the default
themes.

Screenshot:
https://openblox.org/~johnmh/i/YI94WlTpnx.png

* Window resizing using Ctrl + Mouse Button: You can have exactly that with
KDE. I use this myself, though I use Meta (Super key/Windows key/whatever you
call it) + mouse button.

Screenshot:
https://openblox.org/~johnmh/i/nvzO52KycS.png

* Nextcloud: Fedora has both Nextcloud and ownCloud in their repos, and you
can easily install either on most distros.

--
John M. Harris, Jr. <johnmh at openblox.org>