[TriLUG] Easy SNMP monitoring of Linux servers

Kevin Otte via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 26 14:23:37 EDT 2017

I'm fond of collectd for statistics gathering. It defaults to writing to
RRD files locally for which you'd need to have something to present the
graphs. Having it write to a graphite instance and then using grafana to
display graphs is much more visually pleasing. Also, grafana recently
implemented alerting.

carbon and graphite can be a bit tricky to get going, but in my opinion
it's still much easier than fighting with cacti. The main thing to keep
in mind is the metrics are pushed back to the collection point rather
than polled. This will likely affect your security stance.

-- Kevin