[TriLUG] Linux thin client

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 31 09:14:48 EDT 2017

I played around with LTSP and liked it very much. It really depends with what you want to do to guide which direction you should go. Are you looking for full production with reliable hardware? or is this an education environment? Not really asking, just pointing out that depending on your needs you may make different choices. Thin clients should work fine for LTSP. Cost and reliability go down greatly as you scale up. A beefy server with alot of thin clients would probably be most cost effective if you include maintenance and energy costs. The other option of using old hardware tends to be costly if they are running 24/7 and maintenance will go up as well. However, for a 12 hour on time and willing repair people that education environments tend to have, it may be a good choice, especially if you can get used donated hardware. You should be able to find several solutions for thin clients running a light linux to use for the end user. For testing you could start with an RPi or use it exclusively. Again, depending on how much reliability you are looking for.
John Vaughters
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 7:14:34 AM EDT, Ron Kelley via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:Just needed a jumping off point for now.  Thanks for the reply!

--
This message was sent to: John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com>