[TriLUG] weather forecasting [ Was Re: Total Solar Eclipse - Expeditions to SC?? ]

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jun 6 15:30:26 EDT 2017

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:

> This sounds a lot like their rain percentage chances, which aren't the chance
> that you will see rain in a particular area but rather the percentage of the
> forecast area that will see likely see rain.

I've never known what this meant.

I assume if there's a 25% chance of rain, then 25% of the area will likely see
rain. I assume if I'm in the area, that I have a 25% chance of getting rain.

So if it's likely that all of the area will receive 1 drop of rain, then there's
100% chance of rain. This is not a particularly useful piece of information.

Some weather bureaus instead tell you the amount of rain to expect with some
info about the style of precipitation (eg drizzle, thundershower). I find this
quite useful.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml