[TriLUG] Any recommendations for cheap "cloud" hosting?

Igor Partola via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 19 16:10:22 EDT 2017

I'll do my usual summary of this landscape as I've used a few of the
popular services:

Linode: these guys were one of the first to this space. I haven't used them
since they've dropped their prices to match others, but they are now price
competitive. They did have at least one major security issue in the past.

DigitalOcean: these guys created the original low cost commodity VPS based
on KVM, with a custom easy to use dashboard too. They offer a $5 VPS with
512 MB RAM and an SSD hard drive. Their IPv6, while available, is sucky
because they don't offer a full /64. If you want to try them, have $10:
https://m.do.co/c/e4c665418121. Note that if you spend $25 with them based
on that link, I'll get $25.

Vultr: Competitor/clone of DigitalOcean, with better value. Their lowest
VPS is $2.50 for 512 MB RAM. They provide very good IPv6 support and the
VPS's are solid. This is where I currently host most of my apps. I don't
believe you get anything by using my affiliate link, but I will get $10 if
you spend $10: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6854758.

Scaleway: Their claim to fame is two-fold. First, they don't seem to care
if you use their boxes for torrenting. Not that you should use them for
torrenting illegal stuff, of course. Also, they offer dedicated ARM servers
for about 3 Euros a month, as well as VPS's. Their IPv6 support is... well
it's spotty. Older offerings, including the older bare metal ARM servers
don't support IPv6 at all because something something the switches they
used don't do it. Newer servers do but you don't get a full /64. They also
are not a US company so if jurisdiction matters to you, it may make a
difference. I've had a number of issues with them, including their poor
support for things like shutting the damn servers down (the dedicated boxes
at least). Still, if you want to play with your own ARM box, this is not a
bad option.

Amazon Lightsail: this is the newest addition to all of this, and runs as a
sort of stand-alone thing to the rest of AWS. It's priced competitively
with the rest of these, but at least theoretically you can use some other
AWS services without too much lag which is cool. It has some kind of IPv6
support, though I have yet to ascertain if you get a full /64 or not.

Other places to check out:

Online.net: dirt cheap VPS's.

LowEndBox.com: blog dedicated to deals on VPS's.

http://sdf1.org/index.cgi?vps if you want to go old school.

Igor