[TriLUG] Any recommendations for cheap "cloud" hosting?

Ken M via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jun 19 18:09:59 EDT 2017

I will add this to this great write up.  I use digital ocean now, and
have for years.  For the most part pretty pleased but if it was me today
looking for a new host I would consider Linode.

Why?

I am starting to feel that Digital Ocean is getting more into nickle and
diming its customers.  That is all, just a general feel.

I have been thinking about spinning up a new cloud vm for development
and for that I am considering linode.  At the same time I am trying to
look into using AWS for static site hosting.  Of course that still
leaves me figuring out cheap places to throw lamp stack items.
Basically I want to look at an AWS or similar for that because they are
built and not high traffic sites.  So they can sit there and cost me
less.  At least that sounds good in theory.  That way I can use my VPS
merely for remote dev and skip using a VPS to actually host sites.

Truth is I am trying to get out of hosting other people's sites anyway.

Ken