[TriLUG] Router Recommendations

Roger via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jun 29 21:12:23 EDT 2017

Thomas,

I have a Netgear N600 (ANCEstor). Openwrt says it's supported:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/netgear/netgear_wndr3400_v2

<$100. Specs: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNDR3400.aspx#tab-techspecs

Not as fast as you are looking for but I never see lag. I've run a CAT5 cable to the living room.

Bonus is a USB port for adding storage. Dual band means one band operates at 5 GHz so that's wider band width and faster. You can update the software easily when they have security updates. I'd look at on-board features before installing openwrt. Of you stick with default software, RTFM and do not go with there installer. Not needed - just follow the more detailed instructions for manual setup.

I got this after sending back two ASUS Wi-Fi modems that did not work.

Shop around for prices. Monitor lifehacker for deals, e.g., on this and other brands such as TP-Link.

Good ruck.
--
Roger Broseus

(Please excuse tiepos induzed by the droided predictive text tool.)