[TriLUG] Router Recommendations

Thomas Delrue via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jun 30 11:58:39 EDT 2017

On 06/30/2017 11:26 AM, Michael Marley wrote:
> That only has a 680mHz MIPS processor, so I highly doubt it can handle
> gigabit routing on LEDE.  It probably won't do much better than 200Mbps
> or so if even that.  For gigabit, you would need one of the newer ramips
> devices (like Dlink DIR-860), a new ARM device (Linksys WRT1x00AC), or
> an x86_64 processor.  (Obviously, check LEDE's compatibility with
> specific hardware revisions before you buy anything, I don't keep up
> with this stuff precisely.)

Why would the device not be able to handle Gigabit routing if it is a
Gigabit (4 lan gigabit ports + 1 gigabit wan port) device? (Again,
hardware is not my expertise)
Is this something specific to LEDE or is it a flaw in the device (i.e.
you have gigabit ports but are unable to use them as gigabit)?

I think I'll need some more information.

Does that bring me back to my original question? Which gigabit router
(see above) would satisfy my requirements?