[TriLUG] Broken MySQL Update ( MariaDB replaced it )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jul 2 15:31:23 EDT 2017

Help!

I have a Debian site that I help out on; I get called when things break!

It appears that the existing MySQL server was "upgraded" to MariaDB
approximately a month ago, and then another update took place this
morning.

Unfortunately, things did not restart this morning, so I got a call.

Systemd is reporting: mariadb.service: Main process exited, code=exited,
status=227/NO_NEW_PRIVILEGES

A quick Internet search suggested a couple of things, but they did not
have any effect, or negative results.  I tried reinstalling
maridb-server and common, but that does not seem to have helped. ( I get
the above -- and other -- error messages. )  It appears that the quoted
error is the primary error.

I did see an answer that said that I need to install a more modern
kernel.  If that causes failure, shouldn't it be a requirement?

On the other hand, could I roll back and replace MariaDB with MySQL,
or am I asking for Database Version trouble?

Apparently MariaDB was working correctly for all of June, but if the
database is compatible, I might try going backwards, if possible and if
it would help me get back to a working system.

Thank you,
Brian