[TriLUG] Broken MySQL Update ( MariaDB replaced it )

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jul 3 12:22:14 EDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 08:22:14AM -0400, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:

> Thank you, Alan.
>
> For some reason I had thought that I needed a working MySQL server to
> run mysqldump, but you were correct.  I was able to successfully create
> a dump, and so I will remove everything that looks like MySQL ( or
> MariaDB ) and re-install.  I will report further success.

Welll.  That was interesting.

I removed ( not purged ) all mysql and mariadb packages.

Along the way, I continued my research, and found that MariaDB was added
to Debian in late 2012, and made the only official MySQL RDBMS in Debian
about two ( three? ) weeks ago.

OK, so once I had removed those packages, I installed
"default-mysql-server," which installed mariadb-server-10.1, which
seemed to start all right and life looked good.

I then made the mistake of shutting down mysqld using "service mysql
stop."  Restarting failed again, just as before.

I did some more research and found that there were indications that
there were InnoDB issues.   I tried renaming those files and that didn't
work.  I put them back, and hey presto!  I have a working MySQL server
again.

I promise not to restart it again!

Actually, things seem to be back to normal.

Thank you for the help.

B-)